Our school has a long history...
The school was blessed & officially opened on 1st March 1956 by Bishop Bernard Stewart. It was the culmination of a lot of hard work by dedicated families and members of the church in the Kennington area.
The site was originally bought by the Marist Brothers with a view to establishing a boys' high school. When the high school was set up in Junortoun, some members of St Killian's Parish saw the opportunity for building a new school to the east of Bendigo.
The original school, begun by the Sisters of Mercy, was spread over two campuses with the Junior School being housed in the old St Aidan's Orphanage and Grades 3 to 6 at the current site in Lowndes St.
An initial enrolment of 52 mushroomed to a student body at a full capacity of more than 430. To meet the needs of local families a second Parish school, St Francis of the Fields, opened at Strathfieldsaye in 1994. Approximately 100 students from St Therese's and several staff, including principal, John Hermans, moved to the new school. The plan to reduce the size of St Therese's student body was short lived as the numbers quickly grew back and remain around the 400 mark.
The year 2000 saw a large building project with a new Library, Administration Building, Computer Lab, a new classroom and new toilets constructed.
We are currently involved in another building program which will see us with a new Expressive Arts Building (housing Visual Arts, Music, LOTE/Meeting Room), 9 refurbished classrooms and a new toilet block.